Páginas

terça-feira, 11 de setembro de 2012

Finnish friends.

The worst thing about Finland is making friends. Finns are the craziest people ever once you know them but  if you don't, you would imagine they are completely boring people. And it is really hard to make them trust you. You need to be the exchange student sterotype, running and screaming and talking to them without ever stopping and maybe they will start talking to you as friend. Otherwise they will answer your questions and that's all. This last two days I have been acting like a maniac and, surprisingly, this is how I am making firends! 

Finns really like to talk to you. They want to know things about you and your life, what do you think of Finland and if you like here. And they really listen to what you are saying. I am pretty sure that if I talk to someone that I have spoken before, she will remember what I said in the other conversation and then it seems like I am talking with a old friend that know my secrets and all because they have good memory. In Brazil I would never expect people to remeber as much as they remember here because nobody really focus their whole attention on ehat you are saying. For us that is not really offensive because it is a cultural thing.

I was told before that once you make a finnish friend, it is a friend for life. Now I see why.

A finnish friend I made here. He is a ginger!

4 comentários:

  1. It was very strange but funny the comparison of you acting like a maniac. I am very glad that you made a lot of friends, that's true that they are more reservate then pleople from over countries, but if you try to be friend with them and if you run, scream and talk to them as you did then you will be never alone. Happy that you are my friend!

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Well, I guess you just have to find the right group of friends after all. Thank you for being with me whenever I needed it.

      Excluir
  2. I completly understand about how its hard making friends. Here in naples fl its a small place full of clicks and tight groups where its the same thing if they dont know you they wont give you the time of day. Now I had to boost my energy up for people to notice and want to get to know the loud girl and thats where it helped. Loved reading your blog Michelle

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Wow, you have been very observant during your first few weeks in Finland! I can understand why - it's important to get to know people and make friends, so you don't feel isolated and lonely in your new environment. As you have already noticed, Finns tend to be quite slow to "warm up" to new people, and need a lot of initiative and breaking the ice from the part of the foreigner. It's just the mentality and communication culture here. Luckily you will stay the whole year so you will have plenty of time to make really good friends.

    ResponderExcluir